Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sound card problem in Acer Aspire 4520

Recently I bought a Acer Aspire 4520 laptop. I installed some Linux OS includes Fedora 7, Open SUSE 10.3, Ubuntu Fiesty and debian. But None of my installed OS detected my sound card. Finally I removed all the distros and installed Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 and then downloaded latest ALSA-Driver from www.alsa-project.org. Installed this driver. Now My sound card is working fine. Here I have noted the steps what I have done for my sound card problem. It will useful for someone to search solution for this problem. And here I have given the link for ubuntu forums. Seems, more people getting this problem. Ref this page, before you start to install the alsa,

Steps for installing the ALSA Driver:
-------------------------------------
* Installed Ubuntu Gutsy version for 64 bit
* login in console mode
* By default, the nvidia driver installed. Install the driver by using
$apt-get install nivida-glx-new
$sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
Then retsart the Laptop. Now almost the video problem will solved.

* Updated the packages.[kernel also updated]
* Installed build-essential from package manager. It has resolved lot of dep problems.
* Downloaded alsa-driver-1.0.15rc3.tar.bz2
* Untar it
* $./configure
* $make
* $make install
*$./snddevices
* sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
added this "options snd-hda-intel model=acer" in almost last line. Aft that save it.
* Reboot
* Now my lapy logged in with nice Ubuntu sound. The sound card working fine.
Thanks to ALSA and Ubuntu....
This is the common steps for all the distros.
Have the Fun..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Me too have an acer aspire 4520 but with RHEL 5. Me too want to install alsa-driver-1.0.15rc3.tar.bz2. In your post, what is snd-hda-intel? Can I add the same line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base through sudo vim?

Regards,
M.Gnanamani.
m_gnanam@yahoo.com

Prakash.A.S said...

ya. You just add the same line in alsa-base and check. Dont forgot, if you ill upgrade your kernel, then your problem ill solve almost.

Unknown said...

Yes! It worked smoothly in my acer aspire 4520 laptop w/ SuSE 10.3. Thanks Prakash!!

Anonymous said...

I had install ubuntu 64bit hardy heron, everything works fine except for the modem. please help to install modem driver. thx.

Unknown said...

Raj Said..
Me too have an acer aspire 4520 but with RHEL 5. Me too want to install alsa-driver-1.0.15rc3.tar.bz2.i cant installed so you just send me easy way to get sound in laptop..

Regards,
Raj Patel.
r.kalaria@yahoo.com
rkalaria@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Rather valuable answer